In 2021 the parishioners of the Holy Spirit Anglican Church in Whonnock will celebrate the centennial of the birth of their church on River Road.
The precursor of the present church was St. Paul’s on 272nd Street, built in 1891.
Already as early as 1909 the parishioners of this “English Church” wanted to build a new church once the necessary funds were collected. In 1913 they purchased the land but the First World War put their plans on hold.
Finally, in 1921, they built the new church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist. It still stands there a century later.
This little book might be of particular interest to the members of the Anglican Church, but anyone interested in Whonnock’s history will enjoy reading about St. Paul’s Church and its people.