"History isn’t a myth-making discipline, it’s a myth-busting discipline ..."

Sir Richard Evans FBA

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Mary Hairsine


On behalf of BC Hydro, who'd lost information about its location, I recently revisited a grave on Hairsine's old property. Charles Miller writes that the grave "was Thomas Hairsine's lasting rememberance of his wife..." and that Hairsine "would climb to the grave site every morning or afternoon and sit and meditate, drinking in the beauty of the view. " In fact Mary's husband was Joseph Robson Hairsine. "Thomas" was the name of one of her children. Mary Hairsine was a daughter of William Magnus and Mary (Salunimia) Cromarty. William Cromarty was cooper of Fort Langley. Mary Hairsine left three children: Thomas Malcolm, William Gowan, and Margery.

2 comments:

MSwanson said...

Thank you for posting this picture of Mary's gravestone. She is my great grandmother. Thomas Hairsine is her son not her husband, her husband was Joseph Robson Hairsine.

fb said...

MSWANSON: I am sorry for not reading the comment earlier. Yes. I knew that Charles Miller had it wrong and I wanted to mention that Joseph Robson Hairsine, (not Thomas)was her husband. I have now corrected my oversight.